Saddlesores and Bonespurs

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

This map at the entrance station at Cottonwood only served as a reminder for how far I still had to go. My ride crossed the 10 freeway and might of turned around in "Mecca" had i been willing to gamble...on my ability to find water. Meet Ruben, on a 10 month sabbitical from his regular life as a physical education teacher. This guy rolled by me in the campground loaded down like he was riding to South America and my first comment to him was, "You look serious". I took him a beer and found out he IS riding to South America. He hails from Belgium and has always dreamed of doing a ride like this. Starting in LA he was only 300 miles into it. From JTree he is heading thru Lake Havasu, east on Route 66 to the Grand Canyon, north to Vegas,north to Death Valley before turning south. Checkout out his journey ... www.rubenmaakteenreisje.bloggen.be
He's taking pictures every 100k and will use english for highlights.Living large in "Belle" camp.
Ruben was riding a Decathalon with every thing he envisioned needing. His gear with plenty of water was 30 plus kilos....
My view of an endless stream of semis into and out of socal. From here it's about 40 miles and a whole bunch of climbing to get back to my ice chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home